Your carbon footprint is the amount of greenhouse gas released into the atmosphere by your day-to-day activities. This is mostly carbon dioxide, thus the name. Here are key ways to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Reduce your electricity use at home by replacing incandescent lightbulbs with compact fluorescent lamps and turning off electronic devices when not in use.
- Save water! Make sure there are no unattended leaks and turn off the faucet while you are brushing your teeth. Using water creates greenhouse gases indirectly, because it takes power for water companies to move water to your home.
- Walk or bike instead of using your car for short trips.
- Recycle paper, plastic, glass and metal. Donate items that can be reused.
- Finish the food on your plate. Food wasted produces greenhouse gas when it decomposes.
Remember, every small effort counts! Collectively, they help the planet in a BIG way!